Rose also considered as the flower of romance and luxury is loved by people for its fragrance and beautiful structure, not just this rose when converted to rose water can become effective and healthy for you. So now I will tell you about Rose Water’s benefits and how to make Rose water at Home. The rose is used in all types of cosmetics from creams to perfumes, it’s used for health, beauty and even for food and drinks.
Originating mainly from Iran, rose water is used to date. Its sweet fragrance is used in many self care products like bathing soaps, perfumes, creams, face masks, and whatnot.
How to make Rose Water?
Rose water can be brought and made by yourself too. In market rose water is available in about ₹25 or ₹45 (approximately) so you can buy it. But If you want to make it yourself let’s know how to make Rose water at home in 3 ways.
You will be needing distilled water, so distilled water is mainly the water that has been boiled into vapor and condensed back into the liquid in the separate container. But if you don’t have distilled water you can use the filtered water too.
1. The Distilling Method
The Distilling Method is the traditional method of making rose water and the result is the clear rose water and has many benefits. First take your ingredients that are rose petals, ice, a bowl, distilled water, a large pot with lid, a strainer and container.
1. First pluck some petals one cup will be enough now wash those petals clearly so to clear dirt and bugs. The dry petals can also be used.
2. Now place a small pot inside the large one. Remember to use the pot that can tolerate the heat and can be lifted up easily.
3. Place the petals inside the pot and also fill it with water now close the lid, the lid will help in trapping the steam inside the pot only.
4. Now place the ice on the top of the lid. The ice will create condensation inside the pot and will further help to accelerate the steam. The rose-infused condensation will collect on the underside of the pot lid, then drip down inside the clean bowl, it will give you more clean, pure and concentrated rose water. As the ice starts to melt, remove the water and continue to add more ice to it. Once the water inside the pot starts to boil reduce its heat and allow the water to simmer. It takes about half an hour or we can say until the color of the rose fades.
5. Now turn off the heat and wait for the mixture to cool down before removing the lid so that no ice water drips into the bowl. Remove the bowl from the pot and now pour the rose water in the container or spray bottle. And your rose water is ready to be used.
2. The Simmering Method
The Simmering Method is the easiest and quickest method of making rose water. To make rose water with this method take your ingredients that are rose petals, distilled water, a large pot, a strainer, measuring cup, and a container with a lid like spray bottle or any jar.
1. Start the process with removing petals of the flower. Pluck about 1 cup of the rose from the flower or desired amount. Now clean the petals thoroughly to get rid of dirt and bugs.
2. Once cleaned thoroughly, dip the rose petals in the water enough to cover them.
3. Now put the pot on the stove and simmer the flame. Once put into the simmer cover and reduce it to the lower settings. Leave it for half an hour or until it gets rid of its original color and turns into pale pinkish color. Once done turn the heat off and leave the lid on until it cools completely.
4. Take a strainer and put the cool down rose water in the filter into another pot it will separate the rose petals from the rose water.
5. Now put the rose water in the spray bottle or glass jar. And you can keep it in the refrigerator for a month and in the bathroom for week. Now your rose water is ready to use.
3. The crushing Method
This method is very similar to the Simmering Method but rose petals will be prepared in a different way. This method is also used for making a large amount of rose water. First grab your ingredients which are roses, distilled water, a large pot, a strainer, a mortar, and a pestle.
1. Start with removing the petals from the flower 1 cup will be enough. Once removed now wash the petals thoroughly to get rid of dirt and bugs.
2. Now divide the rose petals into two equal parts. Crush the one pile in the mortal and pestle to extract the juice. The second pile of the rose will be used later for more consistent coloring.
3. Now place the crushed juice into the bowl. Let it deposit for 2 (maximum) or 3 (minimum) hours, so that the liquid is thickened. Mix the remaining petals into the bowl and let it sit for additional 24 hours (in room temperature only).
4. Don’t use the metal pot as it will only take the oil and affect the coloring of the rose water, instead use a ceramic saucepan. Set the stove in simmer or low flame. Once you see the bubbles forming, off the heat and remove it from the stove.
5. Now put the rose water through the strainer into a container with lid and leave it in the sunny spot for 3 to 4 hours. As the sun will draw out the natural oil.
4. The essential oil method
The essential oil method is easy and can be preserved for longer time and is also easy to make but the disadvantage of this type of rose water is that you can not eat it and the main ingredient is the rose essential oil that is actually expensive.
How to make rose water with the help of essential oil
The most needed things to make it are rose essential oil, you can buy it from the market, carrier oil of your own choice like coconut, almond or jojoba oil, distilled or filtered water, containers like spray bottle or glass jar.
Mix rose essential oil and carrier oil together. Once mixed now pour water in it and again mix well. As it’s mixed thoroughly pour it into the container like glass jar or spray bottle. The main advantage of this type of rose water is that you don’t need to keep it in the refrigerator and it can be used for longer time.
As we have already talked about how to make the rose water at home, let’s talk about how to use it and when to use it.
Rose water USes in daily life
1. It can be used as a Toner:- Most people prefer the rose water as a toner as it is natural and has no chemicals like the others. You can apply it after washing your face in clean and dry face with a cotton pad and let it dry than continue your daily routine of skin care.
2. It can be used at the time of bathing:– While taking bath pour one table spoon rose water in water to keep your body hydrated and relaxed for whole day.
3. It can be used as a perfume:- Mix the rose water with the essential oil of your own choice and the vanilla extract too and voila your perfume is ready.
4. It can be used as a mist:- In summer we generally use mist to wake up our skin, therefore, rose water is one of the most successful mist that can be used. It is also soothing for irritating skin like sunburn.
5. It can be used in food too (but without essential oil one):- The rose water is not just for the beauty purpose it can also be used in food but remember not the essential oil one. You can add some drops of rose water in your tea, or lemonade to make it even more tasty and healthy as it has vitamins and minerals in it.
6. It can be used as a room spray too:- Spray your rose water in rooms to get the sweet and fresh smell of roses. Spray it on your furniture, cushion, bedsheets, etc.
It can also be used in many different purposes too like as an eye drop (without essential oil), making drinks like cocktails and mocktails, as a hair spray etc.
Rose Water Health benefits
Rose water is healthy for your skin and it also have other benefits too like:-
Rose water is full of antioxidants and thus has medical and therapeutic benefits too. It is also soothing and thus can be used as an antidepressant and too make your mood relaxing and fresh. It is beneficial for,
- Sore throat
But if your skin is very sensitive you must do a patch test before using the rose water in your skin as you might be allergic to rose and it can cause further itchiness and red skin too.
How many days you can preserve the rose water?
You can preserve the rose water in a refrigerator or any cool or dry place for many days. But like any other product rose water also have a certain time of shelf life. It mainly depends upon with which method you have made it, as with time rose water also loses its potency.
Rose water made with the distillation method can be preserved for 6 months in a refrigerator if stored in a sealed container. And rose water made with the simmering method can only be preserved for a month.
To keep your rose water for a long time you can add a preservative that is vodka to your rose water:-
· Add one table spoon of vodka during the method of making rose water.
· And follow the same process of making it as per the method.
· Keep it in cool and dry place mainly in the refrigerator to preserve it for a longer time.
Frequently asked questions about rose water
Well to make rose water you just need 1 or 2 flowers and 1 cup of rose petals to make a bottle of rose water.
As we talked about earlier, it totally depends upon the method from which you have prepared the rose water, if distillation method than it can be preserved for 6 months in a cool and dry place like a fridge, if made with simmering or crushing Methods it will last for a month only. To preserve it for longer time add vodka in rose water during the method.
Absolutely yes, rose water can be used in food and drinks until the rose water is not made from the essential oil.
Note in mind that some people might be allergic to roses and they themselves do not have any idea about it therefore before using it do a patch test to know if you can use rose water or not.
Also check the rose water that you have brought from the market for any harmful chemicals.